Thursday, February 20, 2014

my sidekick.


"You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have for instance."
~Franklin P. Jones



This is my fifth time having a toddler in the house. You would think I would be a pro at this by now. And in someways I surprise myself at how I far I have come in my decade of mothering. I have learned a few tricks of the trade. But there is still something about a whining crying toddler that can unnerve you and I am still not above throwing a cookie or a lollipop at a fussy almost two year old in the grocery store.

But oh how i love this age. This is the age their little personalities come out and everything is new and exciting in their eyes. It is an age of wonder, sweet kisses and snuggles. Silas keeps telling me, "Mom Eden is not a baby anymore. She is like a real girl now."
Yes, its true. She has her  own opinions. She walks and talks and mimics and keeps us all laughing with her crazy personality. She keeps mama busy too. This girls does not stop moving till she goes to bed. If it is quiet for too long, I start to panic.
Is she eating the deodorant again? Coloring on herself with markers? Pulling things out of drawers? Sneaking candy?

Her signature thing is to move chairs and stools around the kitchen to wherever I am. it is both enduring and annoying at the same time. I am washing dishes and next thing I know I feel a stool smack up against my legs and she is there wanting to help. Baking, cooking, emptying dishwasher and she is right on my heels.

She is my sidekick.



Some days with a toddler can feel tiring and long. But her joy and the way she touches my heart is irreplaceable and I am so thankful to get to spend my days with her. Even when I am frustrated she will look at me with those big brown eyes and say her new learned word "Sor-wee" (sorry) and I melt into a puddle on the floor.
Today Hope had extended preschool to make up for all the snow days. So around the table today at lunch was just Eden and I. I was very thankful for this sweet, full of life little girl to have as my sidekick.

"There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep"
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


"Silence is golden...unless you have a toddler. In that case silence is very, very suspicious"
~anonymous



No comments: