Tuesday, February 5, 2013

desperate and fit to burst.


My new books arrived this morning.

I am not one for reading too many parenting books. Sometimes I feel they can bog me down with "shoulds" and heaviness. But there are seasons in parenting where you can feel stuck and outside perspective can be needed and good. I feel like recently I have desired some encouragement and new perspective in mothering  and when I saw the title of the first book I felt right away it was something I should read. I even went to the local Christian book store to look for it on the shelf. An older man working there saw me looking and asked if he could help me.
 "Umm. yeah. It's a book called Desperate."
"Desperate??" he asked.
"Yeah, its a mothering book." I said sheepishly. 
He couldn't find it and went to the computer. "Here it is..." and he started to read out loud the description "for mothers who love their children to the depths of their soul but are struggling with how hard motherhood is." As he is reading Eden is trying to get out of the cart and Hope and Silas are running circles around the bookshelf. "Does that describe you?" he asks a twinkle in his eye. "You have your hands full". 
I laugh not telling him that this is not all of them.
So I did not buy the book that day but a few weeks later still feel like I am in some real need of something. Not sure what. But what I am doing is not working. So I order the "Desperate" book and then Rachel Jankovic's new book since I loved her first one, Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches. 

So I am eager to dive in. To receive what the Lord has for me. He promises that those who cry out for wisdom will receive it. 

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you."
James 1:5 NLT

1 comment:

Unknown said...

would love to borrow the 2nd book...i am reading the first one now. :) ~mk.