Thursday, January 20, 2011

savor.

This little girl has been taking LONG naps in the afternoons and then is not ready for bed when the other kids are. So two nights this week she had some one on one time with Mommy & Daddy while everyone else was sleeping....and she LOVED it.


At first I can get frustrated. We purposely put our kids to bed early (they are tired anyways from being in school) so that Mark and I can have time to talk & connect. But I could not stay mad for long because she was being hilarious and so cute.

I am really trying to enjoy this stage of life...I know I say that all the time but when you have those crazy days you need to remind yourself to enjoy the season because it will not always be this way. Just last night Mark & I were talking about if Hope was our last child then this would be the last time we would experience this age. I really love this age and all the new things they learn all the time. It made me want to stop and savor...

"Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away and leave to me your past,
And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts....
The last time you when you ran to me, still small enough to hold
The last time that you said you'd marry me when you grew old.
Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past--
Would I have held on longer if I'd know they were your last?"
excerpts from Karen Kingsbury's book Let me Hold You Longer

I REALLY want to get this and live this way more...enjoying each stage and savoring those moments when everyone is running around the kitchen while I am trying to make dinner, laughing at the toys scattered all over because they are having fun, being grateful when doing the dishes because I have a house full of hungry children....I could go on and on.
Perspective. Perspective. Perspective.

1 comment:

mom mom Susan said...

Thank you for the reminder. Even as a grandmom I need to cherish each minute. Once they are gone you can't get them back.