Saturday, May 26, 2012

that mom...

Sometimes I wonder how it is that I became "that mom"...you know the one who drives a mini van with goldfish crumbs on the seats, gum stuck to the floor and foreign objects rolling out when you open the door. 
The kind of mom who registers her son for kindergarten two months after the official registration date and when handing the secretary the birth certificate has to explain that I did not really name my son, Silas Marie. It was misprint on the birth certificate and yes I still have not changed it five years later. Oh my....
And that same afternoon be the mom who receives a phone call from the school Moses went on a field trip to saying he fell in the library and cracked his head open could I come pick him up?  And after arriving having the teacher say I did not seem too worried on the phone and Moses telling her that was because he does stuff like this all the time... he unfortunately might have gotten that from me!
I have become the mom who does not realize her daughter is completely covered in mud after feeding the dog... until we are at the bus stop. Who also doesn't realize that my son who is almost nine is wearing size 4 shorts... until we are at the bus stop or that he is wearing sneakers that are duct taped together... until we are at the bus stop. I guess I should be glad they are dressed and made it to the bus on time! It's only really my pride at stake.
My high school friends used to joke  "heather we can totally see you driving around in a station wagon with a bunch of kids." 
Well here I am. It's a minivan not a station wagon...we couldn't all fit in a wagon. Some days I can't believe I have become" that mom". 
But other days I am glad I am "that mom". Like when someone at the checkout counter tells me they can't believe I have five kids. Or when Hope climbs up on my lap and gives me hug. When Sarah brings me flowers from the meadow. Or we are at the ice cream counter ordering and the couple behind us can't stop exclaiming over our children. When Silas helps me carry in the groceries. Or when Moses's teacher tells me what a joy he is to have in class. Or when I hold Eden close and breathe in her sweet newborn scent. These are the moments I am so glad to be "that mom"...


I love this picture....
and yes my kids are in their pajamas.... :)

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Heather, I love this post! How fun it is to be that mom!! :) The day Moses hit his head, JD came home and was telling me all about it! Glad that he was okay! JD has really enjoyed being in class with Moses this year - maybe we can get them together this summer!!

Terri said...

I'm glad you are "that mom"...you remind those around you of the important things in life - and they have nothing to do with the insignificant temporal nuisances we face each day. Be THAT MOM, because they grow way too fast and they will look back, grateful that your focus was on THEM.